Sunday, September 7, 2014

Who Inspires You?

(Day 7 of the Teach Thought 30-day blogging challenge: Who was or is your most inspirational colleague, and why?)

My most inspiring colleague is our Music teacher, Meaghan Curry. She has taught at my school for a few years now and I have to say, she is one of the best teachers I've had the pleasure to work with. I respect her because she constantly looks for ways to improve her craft. She seeks out and is willing to try new, innovative techniques in her classroom. One example of this is how she is currently growing gourds in our school garden for 5th graders to make musical instruments. We teach at a STEM school, so this not only fits in with the Music standards she has to teach, but it fits our STEM initiative as well. 

Meaghan recently joined Twitter, which she will use along with student blogging with her students. I have never known a Music teacher to try either with their students. I'm excited to see how she uses both of these tools. I highly respect Meaghan because she is passionate about what she does. Watching and listening to her encourages me to continue seeking my own professional development and to keep innovation a priority. Who inspires you? 

I encourage you to follow Meaghan @MsCurryMusic.