Friday, September 5, 2014

Excuse The Mess. We Are Learning Here!

(Day 5 of the Teach Thought 30-day blogging challenge: Post a picture of your classroom, and describe what you see--and what you don't see that you'd like to.)




I took these pictures quickly at school today during our math class. I thought about posting the pictures I took just after my room was set up, and before students entered. That wouldn't be the best portrayal of my classroom though. It's a busy place with lots of movement and activity. 


In these pictures, my math students are creating an original math game. THEY came up with the criteria, by the way. In these pictures, I see focused students on a mission. I see engagement. I see students utilizing different workspaces. I see concentration. I see precision. I see a mess! But, if it takes for my students to have necessary materials readily available, and for them to have space to work, then so be it.


I would like to see a little more collaboration. Even though it's an individual project, I'd like to see them offer support and elicit ideas from each other. Perhaps knowing they are responsible for fulfilling the criteria THEY came up with made them even more focused on their own project. I'm just not sure.


If you're new to the blogging challenge, check it out here. 

http://www.teachthought.com/teaching/reflective-teaching-30-day-blogging-challenge-teachers/
























No comments:

Post a Comment