Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Think for Yourself

(Day 9 of the Teach Thought blogging challenge: Write about one of your biggest accomplishments in your teaching that no one knows about, or may not care.)
One of my biggest accomplishments as a teacher is helping my students become curious, independent learners who think for themselves. I don't give my students all the answers and I provide opportunities for exploration, research, and discovery. One way I do this is through Genius Hour. Genius Hour is a huge movement popping up in schools everywhere. If you're not familiar with it, I urge you to check out the following links. If you have other resources you'd like to share, please put them in a comment below!

www.geniushour.com
http://www.livebinders.com/play/play/829279
http://geniushour.wikispaces.com

It's important to grow thinkers, creators, and problem solvers, and I feel allowing these critical experiences does just that. My students have become independent learners who confidently take risks and are motivated to learn. For me, that is a major accomplishment. 

If you're new to the blogging challenge, check it out here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment